When water from the unit over you leaks right into your ceiling via the concrete flooring, ceiling leakages occur. Because of the wear and tear of the water-resistant membrane layer and screed in the flooring piece, this generally takes place. This sensation is much more usual in older structures and usually happens in damp locations such as washrooms and commodes.
Obligations for ceiling leakage within apartments
Apartment owners of top and lower floors have a shared responsibility to keep your corresponding apartments’ structure. This consists of the flooring and also ceiling pieces. You and your neighbor have to organize the repair service job and divide the expense if these pieces require to be fixed.
Ceiling leakage at apartments on the upper degree
This leak originates from the block’s roofing system, which belongs to the typical residential property preserved by the Town Council. You can get in touch with the Town Council to have them remedy the leakage.
Feasible repair work approaches
There are numerous approaches to attend to ceiling leakages, relying on the seriousness of the leakage and the demands of the top flooring. Re-screeding is the suggested choice. Nonetheless, in some cases, a leakage might call for greater than a solitary repair service technique to be reliable.
Action 1: Remove flooring ceramic tiles, screed, and also components
ceiling leakage 1
- Get rid of the flooring ceramic tiles, screed, pedestal or squat frying pan, and various other components. Locations around pipelines ought to be hacked slightly deeper (around 25mm a lot more).
- Clear all loosened fragments from the hacked surface area.
- Fill up locations around the pipeline with non-shrink cement.
- Use a top-quality waterproof membrane layer onto the hacked surface area. The membrane layer must be upturned (as much as 150mm) versus pipelines, kerbs, and wall surfaces.
- Permit the membrane layer to establish for 6 to 12 hrs, according to the producer’s guidelines.
- Using an Un-plasticised Poly-Vinyl Chloride (UPVC) flooring catch grating with a lengthy collar is highly advised.
Action 2: Lay a brand-new water-resistant screed layer.
Ceiling leakage 2.
- If suitable, reinstall the squat frying pan.
- Lay a brand-new layer of waterproof screed (a minimum of 20mm thick) onto the hacked surface area with the waterproof membrane layer.
- A mild slope needs to be offered to help with reliable drain.
- Leave the screed to set for at the very least 12 hrs.
Action 3: Reinstall flooring ceramic tiles and also components.
Ceiling leakage 3.
- Reinstall the flooring ceramic tiles, stand frying pan (if suitable), and any other components.
- Hack and also get rid of the flooring ceramic tiles and also screed bordering the flooring catch.
- Hack additionally (optimum of 50mm) right into the concrete piece.
- Apply one layer of bonding representative.
- If needed, prolong the pipeline.
- Load the hacked location with non-shrink cement, leaving adequate room for re-tiling and also the suitable in of the flooring catch.
- Re-tile the location and re-fix the flooring catch (a long-legged flooring catch collar is advised).
Therapy of gully border.
- Rub the gully border tidy to reveal the concrete.
- Hack as well as eliminate any type of irregular concrete mortar if required.
- Expand the ‘brief’ pipeline where suitable.
- Use a water plug or non-shrink cement to secure up the permeable gully border.
Various other techniques.
There are likewise various other techniques to fix a leak that you can check out with your professional. As an example, a shot of chemical cement (likewise called the Polyurethane (PU) Injection Method), Flood Infusion Method, and application of nanotechnology waterproofing products on the wall surfaces and floorings.